Tutorials by K S Jewellery Designs

Tutorials by K S Jewellery Designs
(Click on the pictures for more details)

Friday 23 January 2015

Labradorite Decorative Headdress Pendant

http://ksjewellerydesigns.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3689901-Labradorite-Sterling-Silver-Pendant-Decorative-Headdress.html
Labradorite Decorative Headdress Sterling Silver
 
 
Often my jewellery designs are inspired by nature or my interpretation of nature where I simplify shapes and lines I see.  Other times my jewellery designs are created by playing around with and putting together wire shapes.  The design for this Labradorite Decorative Headdress Pendant was inspired by a painting I saw on Facebook by Sarah Travis of Sarah Travis Art, Design and Illustration entitled Indian Summer.

https://www.facebook.com/sarahtravisart/photos/pb.766956546665636.-2207520000.1422042570./958011167560172/?type=1&theater
 
Focussing on some of the shapes within Sarah's painting, I made some initial sketches thinking about different shaped cabochons.  Then I chose a labradorite teardrop cabochon from my materials stock and created a design based on the shape of that cabochon.
 
 
Next I made a bezel setting for the cabochon and created some decorative embellishments with handmade silver balls and hammered wire loop shapes.  I had to change the design a little at this stage as I had to take into consideration how I would attach the wire shapes to the bezel setting. I discovered I was able to solder beaded wire on to the top of hammered wire and am looking forward to using this technique in future designs.
 

Whilst I was creating the pendant, I decided to add some beaded wire around the lower part of the bezel setting.

http://ksjewellerydesigns.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3689901-Labradorite-Sterling-Silver-Pendant-Decorative-Headdress.html

I really enjoyed designing and making this pendant and am already pondering over variations using different shaped cabochons.

4 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! I love the shape of it and the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy! I'm definitely going to revisit this design in the future. Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful design and I love seeing the process how you thought it up and then created it, altering your design as you went. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This pendant was a real journey from start to finish and I learnt a lot! I am going to make more jewellery using similar processes but have through this I have learned how joining elements together can affect the final design.
      Kristin :)

      Delete